Influencing Policy & Legislation
- Work with local governments to implement policies and regulations for residential pool safety that mandate installation of a four-sided pool fence that completely separates the pool area from the house and yard. The fence should be at least 4 feet high and have self-closing and self-latching gates that open outward with latches that are out of reach of children.
- Work with local governments to implement policies and regulations for public pool safety (including apartment, hotel and neighborhood association pools) that require the installation of a four-sided pool fence that completely encloses the pool area and limits access by a controlled door or gate.
- Work with appropriate governmental agencies to increase awareness and enforce open-water safety regulations.
Changing Organizational Practices
- Ensure that retailers of pools, spas, and watercraft include safety education to customers
- Distribute retail packets that include local laws and regulations regarding pool/spa home safety and open-water sports activities
Fostering Coalitions & Networks
- Involve and get support from parents, civic organizations, schools, and retailers of water-related sports to develop awareness campaigns and education.
- Enlist community groups to increase accessibility to formal swimming lessons.
- Work with pediatricians to provide information about water safety during well-child visits
Promoting Community Education
- Promote barriers such as automatic door locks to prevent access to residential pools
- Promote pool alarms for residential pools to alert the homeowner if someone enters the pool area
- Promote information about water safety through the CDC Injury Center social media outlets
- Protect the Ones You Love
Strengthening Individual Knowledge & Skills
- Provide formal swimming lessons for children and adults
- Encourage pool owners to remove floats, balls and other toys from the pool and surrounding area immediately after use so children are not tempted to enter the pool area unsupervised
- Encourage use of approved personal flotation devices as noted on the manufacturer’s label.
For more information, go to: